29 November 2010

Winter

Ahh, what a nice start to a Monday. A colleague had bought me a cake like this (from a bake sale yesterday) - what a nice surprise and start for the week!! It's kind of a bundt cake (kuivakakku) a Finnish thing (or maybe Scandinavian..oh no, I checked it's German origin), I think this one is like Marmorkuche (marble cake) or something like that in German.

(Forgive me if I am wrong, I haven't studied a day of German. I have, however, "taught" German..Ok, that was in my substituting daze. Wonder if the students learned anything? ;D)

Yesterday was also lovely. It is like winter wonderland here already. A wee bit on the cold side, -15C (and more..) Brrrrr. But apparentily so it is in the UK! I'm meant to fly in tomorrow, but I think my airport is closed!

Here's a few news clips for you (if, like me, you are reading this from outside the UK.)


More gritted streets needed say Newcastle residents


Snow causes travel disruption in Scotland and North east England

'Beautiful but bitterly cold'


It was so beautiful yesterday when I drove to my godson's 8th birthday party. Such a familiar road from youth, therefore nostalgic.. I didn't have my camera with me, and I couldn't have even stopped to take a photo, as I was driving! But it was a bit like this:

photo from here

Eerie and beautiful, isn't it?

Have a good week!

PS. I'm so glad my least favourite month of the year is OVER tomorrow!!! Yey!

No comments: