17 July 2009

Giving and Receiving


Summer evening sky in Lahti, Finland July 09


"Y’know, sometimes the generosity of another can be quite overwhelming, but it is a good thing to practice receiving. Without people on the receiving end, there would be no givers. Every person is vital to the flow. A friend in need is a friend indeed. If this confuses your humble self, just say thank you and take the present without telling yourself you don’t deserve it. Society has a way of fooling you into feeling small or less-than if you find yourself at the receiving end of someone’s kindness. I have friends that hate when I pay for things. But I wouldn’t be where I am if it wasn’t for the kindness of those friends through the years; those who loaned me their cars, allowing me to sleep on their couch for years without paying rent, taking me to movies, feeding me, smoking me out, etc. These days, supporting someone else’s journey is more than my karmic duty. It is my greatest pleasure. Even if my contribution is just one meal, it uplifts me to fill the belly of another to fuel their continued travels. If we all Give what we Get then there will always be plenty for everyone to enjoy at just the right time. These days I’m still at the gaping end of a horn-o-plenty so it’s easy to share the wealth. The goods just keep falling into my lap. But, while every gift has a good intention it’s hard to accept “stuff” when on the move. I rarely buy “things” on the road. Words and pictures make the best souvenirs for any adventure. Just press a flower into a notebook and call it a day."

- Jason Mraz


From Freshness Factor Five Thousand


Check out also: The Story of Stuff

Share the wealth.

No comments: