24 July 2009

Friendship

"So many of our human connections are superficial. During his short life on earth, Jesus spoke frankly about the shallow nature of those relationships. He knew that people’s loyalty to him often ran no deeper than a free meal of fish and bread, or the reality-show prospect of some miraculous spectacle.

But for Jesus, the concept of friendship was deadly serious.

“I command you to love each other in the same way that I love you,” he told his disciples. “And here is how to measure it—the greatest love is shown when people lay down their lives for their friends.”

I marvel at what those statements really mean. I’ve held nothing back, Jesus seems to say. I’ve told you things that, until now, only my Father and I knew. I’m about to face a challenge you can’t comprehend, to go where you cannot follow, and yet I’m taking the time to tell you this: You are my friends.

And one more thing. “You didn’t choose me,” Jesus concluded. “I chose you.”

As my best friend who lives on this planet, I’m glad Lori chose me. True friendship is precious, beyond knowing."

Excerpt from "Thankful for true friendship" in Walk with me


No comments: