08 November 2006

scotland

I ended up looking at Scotland stuff on the internet today. It hit me (Im clearly being hit by many things of recent!) how MUCH of Scotland I have actually seen. I know there's still many places (of course!) I've not been to, but still, quite a bit of the country I managed to see in three years. I came especially familiar with the highlands, and even some of the northern highlands! I've even been to Isle of Skye twice. Woohoo! Neist Point is one of my favourite places of all. As is the beach South of Ayr with the ruins of Dunure castle, onlooking to Isle of Arran. (This picture actually describes more of the feel of the beach I think)

Btw, I had a hilarious moment once. There's south of Arran
a wee wee island called "Aailsa Craig" and it basically just looks like a big rock on the water. I was flying back to Glasgow once from summer holidays, and there was an american guy next to me that I had been chatting with. Just before we landed we flew above Ayr and I said "Ohh!!! Looook!! that's..mmm..(thinking as I couldnt remember its name)... Ayr's Rock!!"

...I mean if that guy had any knowledge he would know that Ayers Rock is situated somewhat on the other side of the globe :-) But don't you think pretty clever brain work: Ayr + a rock outside it = must be Ayr's rock! Ok, it really DOES look like a rock! See for yourselves. Ha, don't you agree! It truly is just like a rock. Though a big one, must admit.) This is what it most often looks like from the aforementioned beach. Oh, and I though this pic was awesome - it's taken 70 miles away from Beinn An Lochainn. If you look closely you can catch my Ayr's Rock in the distance.

I'll end with typical Scottish lodgings.


About as typical as polar bears roaming in the streets of Helsinki. =)

1 comment:

Tom said...

Aye tis a bonnie land
and good to meet you the other week.