06 July 2008

Christian Clone?


Denise Morris on being a Christian woman -and being you, not a clone.



Embrace and Celebrate who you are...

"I have felt a lot of pressure to be like the NCGs (Nice Christian Girl) — mostly from myself. However, I think there is also some subtle insistence from churches and families that Christian girls are supposed to be mild and smiley. They are supposed to be obsessed with marriage, and want lots of kids. We girls should always present our best face — no matter what we're really feeling. And once we girls turn into moms, that's when we begin wearing embroidered vests and decorating our kitchens with chickens or apples. While not often vocalized, these ideas are engrained in us, where they quietly help us form judgments about the women around us."

The whole article is here

it's worth a read :)

3 comments:

jovial_cynic said...

I'm glad to see a post on this.

I'm beginning a personal study on the role of women in Christian marriage (I'm a man, by the way), and the more I study the scriptures and the relationship between Christ and the church, the more I'm coming to believe that the freedom preached from the pulpit to the church is meant to be carried into the marriage institution. In the same way Christ gave up everything so His bride could be completely free, I think that the husband is the one who is supposed to support his wife in her pursuits, not the other way around.

I'm looking for more ways for my wife to find her own expression in her freedom in our marriage -- I believe it is freedom that characterizes the believer more than anything else; it is only in this freedom that love can grow.

Mimosa said...

Nicely put!

Pellava Smith said...

Thanks Mimo so much for this blog entry and links, it was fun to read. Specially as i have been pondering these "godly woman" identity questions a lot lately. Might post about it later myself... As i have picked up again also Stace Eldredges "Captivating". Truly wonderful book., i highly recommend!