09 October 2008

Spiritual abuse


It is so true. Unfortunately. :( I think ANY person in leadership in ANY church should seriously have a self-inspection to see where they stand with regard to spiritual (and emotional) abuse.
We are not always aware of our offensive ways!
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.
Humility is the key. We don't have to be perfect (and hence in denial of our faults) - just ready to admit them and have humility. He can change us and help us change. Watching Jamie Oliver's latest show and project here in the UK made me think of this as well. There's a lovely single mum of two in it, Natasha, who is such a beautiful example of humbleness. In general, it takes lots of guts to admit you are in the wrong and that you want to change. That maybe all that you have been doing is not the best or the greatest way. Willingness to change. Renewal of the mind..
I think spiritual abuse, as well as in the wider world emotional and verbal abuse are way too underlooked and discussed. It is good that there is more attention these days to violent and physical abuse, but it should be remembered that there are other forms of abuse that are highly destructive too. And they are much more subtle.. And less noticeable. And most of the time, we people in general, don't even realise if we are engaging in something that is neither right, healthy or good. (Like we are taught to eat certain foods, but in the end are those foods good and healthy for us?) Thus I think one could be engaging in spiritual abuse even without realising, because one may be conditioned and thought to think it is ok as a Christian to behave this way and do things that way (though it's not if you ask God!). Someone said in the discussion at NP's site there, that there should definitely be more books on spiritual abuse, I agree! (NP is himself by the way a Vineyard pastor in Rothesay, Canada)

2 comments:

Benjamin Ady said...

love the cartoon

Mimosa said...

Yes unfortunately true.. If you are not so familiar with the Nakedpastor's blog, I recommend visiting!

Thanks for your comment! God bless you.