15 May 2007

To Blog or Not to Blog...


..in Finnish? I am not sure! Help - where's the blogger's help line?! What to do when you have two mother tongues?! (English pretty much is that to me though not officially..but "off the record" kind of :)) I've been feeling like writing sometimes in Finnish too. Is it too mixed if I write every now and then in Finnish as well? Keeping two blogs seems quite a lot..Hmm, I don't know. I am not quite sure. When I first started blogging, I definitely wanted to write in English, and keep up my language skills since living in Finland again. (Those that don't know - I lived in the UK 2000-2003). English was my natural language of expression, and I also wanted to keep in touch with "the outer world" so to speak :) But I guess to be honest, I've been feeling lately like I actually want to be part of the Finnish community as well..Very few of my real life friends actually blog. I've been "on the move" quite a lot the last few months..And in some ways, I guess I'd like to be more in touch with Finnish peeps too. Language can be a barrier. Hmm. Houston, we've got a problem!!!

Que faire?

Voting is on - NOW! Hehe :-) No really, let me know whaddaya think ;)

3 comments:

Karenkool said...

Although I haven't posted on my coda blog for a while, keeping up two blogs isn't so difficult. Whichever language you feel like writing in can be the one that gets the post for that day. I think its a great problem to have. ;-) I wish I knew another language--but I'm American. You know that saying, right? "A person who speaks 3 languages is trilingual, a person who speaks 2 languages is bilingual, and a person who speaks one language is American." Ah haa.

Mimosa said...

Heh, not all Brits can another language either =)

I could actually blog in Swedish and French too..Ok, must admit the French would be a tough one, and Swedish -I'd probably write English using Swedish words! Sad but true - I used to be very fluent in Swedish on it's own - then I moved to Scotland and just replace English words with Swedish ones ever since..grammar forgotten.. *oh dear hopefull none of my old Swedish students read this :)*

Been thinking I should move to Sweden for awhile to get the language back!

..but yes, sometimes there can be too many choices! Am I a fish or a bird? But yep, I might start blogging in Finnish occasionally. Or then not. We'll see.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It IS good that new churches are springing up (laughing well it is spring!) here - and that long time Christians are being revived too.

I'm not a member (or big fan) of the Lutheran church here - but it's been great to see that there's a lot changing locally inside that organisation and God really is at work. I'll never be a fan of church (only a fan of Jesus) but still so encouraged by it.

I love spring too - and the past few days I was over in Hki and had a couple of great jacketless afternoons - though it was nippy in the evenings.

As for Finnish v English it does depend who you want to reach ... foreigners here in Finland (and English speakers overseas) or Finnish speaking Finns only.

that IS the question :)